There are many variations of cannabis and hemp oil in the market today; it’s no surprise why people get them all mixed up. The problem with the confusion is using one oil the wrong way and don’t have a proper understanding of what it is. One of the most popular types of oil in the market today is RSO or Rick Simpson oil. What is Rick Simpson Oil, and how to make RSO? Continue reading down below.
Rick Simpson Oil, just like any other types of oil, can be made at home, that’s why I’ll be teaching you how to make RSO. Plus, we will also be talking about what is Rick Simpson oil about, how it started, and what are the potential benefits when taking one.
What is Rick Simpson Oil?
Rick Simpson is a long time and well-known marijuana advocate, and he created the Rick Simpson oil in an attempt to cure his cancer. He was diagnosed with metastatic skin cancer in the year 2002. With multiple failed doctor-recommended medications, he then decided to create and use THC oil.
The inspiration behind Rick Simpson oil’s creation was thanks in part to a radio station he listened to way back 30 years ago before he had cancer. The radio station spoke about the benefits of ingesting cannabis oils that contain high levels of THC. He claimed that within four days of using the oil, he was cancer-free. He also said that he’s been on remission since and with no additional necessity for treatment.
What is RSO Extract?
Rick Simpson’s oil is made with high THC oil made with Pure Indica or Indica dominant hybrid strains. The Rick Simpson oil is commonly referred to as full-spectrum extract because it contains high levels of both THC and CBD; this is to make the most out of the potential medical benefits. To achieve the potency of Rick Simpson’s oil, it undergoes the extraction process with alcohol as the solvent, and this results in a more potent and concentrated oil.
Rick Simpson’s oil is not meant to be smoked. It can be consumed through ingestion or using it topically. This is because smoking can irritate the lungs, and it doesn’t deliver the same effects compared to ingesting the THC and CBD. Although RSO was made with incredibly high THC content, it’s not the only one out there. Over the years, people across the world have made strides to perfect his recipe and adjust them according to their advantage to offer the most potent dose of their chosen cannabinoids.
What is RSO CBD?
Rick Simpson oil is the same as with other RSOs, and the only difference is they are extracted from cannabis or hemp plants containing high levels of CBD and low levels of THC.
How to Make RSO
The process of making RSO is relatively easy as long as you know what you’re doing. To help, here are some basic and easy to follow step by step instructions on how to make RSO at home.
- Two buckets of 1 ounce dried herb
- 99% Isopropyl Alcohol
- Coffee maker
- Rice Cooker
- Spatula or Stick for mixing
- You will need an ounce of dried cannabis for every 4 grams of RSO, ensure that your dried leaves are chopped up for them to be prepared for the extraction process. If you want to make more significant amounts, keep in mind that for every half a pound of dried cannabis leaves, it can yield to around an ounce of excellent quality RSO extract.
- In a bucket, put your cannabis cuttings and cover it with the solvent. The amount of solvent you need should depend on how much herb you’re using. It is also essential to ensure that all cannabis herbs are drenched in alcohol to ensure that every bit of it is fully saturated. Usually, for every pound of cannabis leaves, you would need around 2 gallons of solvent.
- Use the spatula or any mixing apparatus and crush every bit of cannabis in the mixture. After that, mix them thoroughly. Due to the harshness of chemicals used, it is advisable to have your gloves on and use wooden spatulas or metal utensils. Avoid using plastics.
- Once you are sure that every bit of cannabis is drenched and is fully saturated by the solvent, continue mixing them for another 10 minutes. This is necessary because the constant stirring agitates the cannabinoids and extracts them from the plant materials.
- When constant stirring is done, before pouring the solvent mixture onto the second bucket, place a metal strainer on top. Pour the solvent mixture onto the next bucket and make sure that every bit of it goes through the strainer. The strained cannabis that is left in the metal strainer still holds plenty of cannabinoids. So, don’t throw them away as we’ll be needing them for another wash.
- Dump the strained cannabis onto the first bucket that is now empty, and pour some more solvent, ensuring that every bit of materials is soaked. After that, stir everything for the next 10 to 15 minutes. Then strain again with what’s left from the first rinse.
- The strained cannabis no longer contains cannabinoids at this point, throw them away.
- Now that you have yourself a potent cannabis oil extract, it is time to remove the solvent. For you to do this, you may have to divide portions of it because they may not entirely fit in a rice cooker.
- Pour in the solvent mixture onto the rice cooker. Once the rice cooker is 75% full, turn the heat up to the highest setting. At this time, you may want to do this in a well-ventilated area free from flammable gases or near a fire.
- Continuously stir the mixture every 10 minutes or so, add more of the solvent mixture as the alcohol slowly evaporates from the rice cooker.
- Finally, when most of the solvents are gone, this is the most crucial part. When every solvent is already dissolved, keep the temperature at the minimum and cook it for the next 3 hours. To avoid burning and scalding, put drops of water frequently, and stir it. During this stage, take your thermometer out and monitor the heat that it won’t exceed 140celsius. When it reaches 140C, add a few drops of water again.
- After 3 hours, once the liquid measures around an inch deep inside the cooker, it is time to get your gloves and get the ceramic out of the cooker.
- Carefully pour the RSO extract into a stainless container and place the extracts onto a coffeemaker for around 1 to 3 hours. This process will remove the remaining solvents, leaving behind a pure and fine cannabis extract. When small bubbles stop forming on top of the coffeemaker, this means the solvent is gone and is already done.
- Remove the Rick Simpsons oil from the coffee maker and store it in an empty container. Let it cool down at room temperature. Enjoy! That’s how to make RSO!
Learning how to make RSO is quite a simple and basic thing you could do. As long you follow all the steps above, and you’re good to go. Rick Simpson’s oil is an excellent way to consume cannabis for its health benefits. Keep in mind that these cannabis derivatives contain overwhelmingly high THC concentrations.
Before you start taking the oil, it is essential to ask your doctor’s opinion first before self-medicating. In this way, they’ll know what you are taking and whether it may collide with other medications.