Cannabis has been gaining more and more traction as it earns wider legal ground in the United States. To date, 33 states have legalized medical marijuana while 11 have approved its recreational use. According to a survey from Marist University and Yahoo News, marijuana has become a part of everyday life for millions of Americans. More than 50% of American adults have tried smoking pot at least once in their lives while close to 35 million are now regular users. Nowadays, there are several ways to enjoy cannabis – from pot brownies to smoothies to candies to straight-up capsules.
What are Canna Caps and their Benefits?
As the name implies, cannabis capsules or canna caps are a way to take your greens in capsule form. They are taken orally and swallowed just like any other capsule. These cannabis-infused edibles are becoming more popular in the weed industry because of its benefits over other edibles and combustible or vaporizable cannabis products.
Portable and Discreet
Cannabis capsules or canna caps are an innovative way of carrying your pot supply around. They are not only portable but also very discreet and easy to transport. Many people can simply add them to their pillbox and carry them around in their purses.
Masks the Taste
Capsules, in general, were reportedly produced in the 1700s to cover up the foul taste of certain medications prescribed to patients in those days. Canna caps work exactly like your typical ‘capsules so you do not have to worry about the earthy taste that other edibles, like canna oil, has.
Reliable and Consistent Dosage
Typically, these capsules are used to administer marijuana medication through ingestion. Canna caps often come in packs of ten marijuana-infused capsules with each pill containing the exact dosing requirement a specific patient needs. The capsules are labeled by their cannabinoid contents, such as CBD capsules or THC capsules. Since canna caps can provide accurate and reliable dosing, they are the ideal method for many medical cannabis patients suffering from cancer-related anxiety, chronic pain, or even HIV.
Remove the Need to Smoke
One benefit that these canna caps have over other methods of ingesting marijuana is that they will not irritate your respiratory system and trigger other associated health concerns. This is especially helpful for older patients, patients with respiratory problems, and children. Additionally, when marijuana is delivered to your body in pill form, it enters the bloodstream quicker as compared to smoking it. This means that the needed medicinal effects are brought out about sooner with no effects to the effects’ longevity.
No Added Sugar or Fat
Nowadays, you can find several recipes on the internet for marijuana-infused food and beverages, ranging from pizzas to brownies to energy drinks. Unfortunately, these products contain added sugar and fat that many people are wary about. Capsules, on the other hand, can provide the holistic benefits of marijuana without these unnecessary substances.
How to Make your Canna Caps at Home?
Now, that we know the many benefits that this cannabis ingestion method brings, how do we make our canna caps at home? In this article, we will learn the easy steps of making cannabis capsules using only your preferred choice of cannabis and coconut oil as ingredients.
What You Will Need
- The preferred dosage of choice of cannabis (buds or trim)
- Extra Virgin Coconut Oil
- Empty Gelatin Capsules
What You Will Need to Do
- First things first, you have to decarboxylate your cannabis. The process of decarboxylation for cannabis cannot be overemphasized enough. When skipping this process, you will most likely end up with a weak batch of cannabis. According to studies, to convert cannabinoids into their useful and activated forms, they need to be applied with heat over some time.
- To decarboxylate your cannabis, first, you have to break them up using your hand or using a food processor. Grinding them allows them to be cooked more evenly. Next, preheat your oven to 225 degrees Fahrenheit. It is important to note that temperatures exceeding 300 degrees Fahrenheit can burn your cannabinoids and terpenes, compromising their integrity. That is why temperatures in the 200 range are recommended. Next, prepare a baking tray lined with aluminum foil. Spread your ground up cannabis buds or trims over the tray and place the tray in your oven. Set the timer for one hour.
- While waiting for the timer to set off, heat your extra virgin coconut oil (about ¼ cup or 60 ml). in your crockpot. Leave it heating while your buds are also cooking.
- Once the hour is up, remove your tray of ground-up cannabis from the oven and grind them up even further using your processor to a fine powder. Then, add the powder to your crockpot. Make sure there is enough oil to submerge all the weed. Stir the mixture well and allow it to cook for three to four hours. Make sure to stir the mixture occasionally, once every hour.
- While waiting for the mixture to finish cooking, set up your capsule filling machine as per manufacturer’s instructions. Next, take out your microwave-safe container and cut out a cheesecloth that is about twice the width of the container. Set up the cheesecloth over the container and hold it in place with a rubber band
- Unplug your crockpot and allow your mixture to cool down for 15 minutes or so. Slowly pour or transfer all the contents onto the cheesecloth and allow the oil to slowly drip into the container below. To make sure that all the oil is pushed through the cheesecloth, bundle up the cloth and squeeze as much oil as you can. This process allows you to remove all the plant matter and be left with only the cannabis-infused oil.
- Using a sterilized syringe, transfer the oil to the capsules one at a time. Make sure not to overfill the capsules. Close the capsules as per the manufacturer’s instructions. Carefully transfer the canna caps into a container and refrigerate them. Some people reported keeping their capsules in the fridge for over a year with no loss of potency.
Nowadays, canna caps are the preferred method by many medical cannabis patients because they offer an easier and more convenient method of taking in their medications as compared to smoking weed. They also remove any unnecessary sugar and calories that come with other edible marijuana products. The good news is that you can make your batch of pills at home by simply following the steps outlined above.